Are You Proud of European Culture?
BSSB.BE Self Engineer 04.10.2018
* Dr. Peterson is a professor at the University of Toronto, a clinical psychologist and the author of 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos.
I wonder what people in this sub think about JBP’s stance on European pride. If you don’t know about it yet, the video is here. The interviewer doesn’t exactly pose a question; he rather elaborates on multiculturalists condemning the celebration of European culture, seemingly conflating it with individualism. He cites a professor claiming that Europeans becoming minorities means that the West’s “curious individualism” is in danger.
Peterson reacts by condemning the idea that you can be “proud” of European culture, as the monuments and cultural achievements of Europe were not made by you, but by others. We can only assume responsibility for our life and deeds, and try to live up to our predecessors’ achievements.
- I personally think these ideas are absolutely coherent with what JBP thinks. I never heard him endorsing the view that Europeans should feel proud about their heritage, or that white Europeans becoming a minority in Europe is a danger to individualism, or that individualism is and can exclusively be a European thing.
- On the other hand, if you really follow individualism, you cannot claim pride for something you didn’t do, but only for those things you personally accomplished.
- The reactions in the YT comments (I know, not the best sample) say instead that JBP’s answer is irrelevant and that he’s “dancing around”, or that he ignores the need for Europeans to band up and defend themselves.
- These guys seem to be extreme right-wingers in thin disguise. One top comment even talks about the danger of severing “the white, Western man’s sense of ownership of an identification with his birthright.” Other criticisms are linked with the idea of ‘pride’, and how it doesn’t necessarily mean claiming our ancestors’ work as our own.
I think this video exposes those right-wingers who thought that JBP could become one of their ideology’s mouthpieces. Now, they discovered they were wrong. I’m no leftist myself, but I think associating these people’s ideas to JBP’s is extremely dangerous.
But I’m curious to hear what you guys think, and I’m happy to CMV if you have good arguments on your side.
- The publication is not an editorial. It reflects solely the point of view and argumentation of the author. The publication is presented in the presentation. Start in the previous issue. The original is available at: Self Engineer