Moldova. Left with empty pockets
BSSB.BE moldpres.md 30.03.2013
Kroll audit company unveils first investigation report on Moldovan bank scam
Chisinau, 25 March /MOLDPRES/-Kroll Company submitted the National Bank of Moldova (BNM) the first progress report on the ongoing investigation of the large-scale bank fraud, which led to the collapse of three banks- Savings Bank, Social Bank and Unibank commercial bank- in late 2014.
- It is the first stage of a two-year investigation of the transactions carried out at the aforementioned banks in 2012-2014. The central bank says “a plan to recover the global assets from the malefactors will be implemented in the near time”.
- Kroll “confirmed BNM’s initial findings, according to which transactions had been made within a coordinated fraud, and is currently collecting evidence to meet the highest procedural standards of international courts”.
- Kroll team identified, stocked and analysed thousands of documents obtained with the support of central banks and other parties from various countries, which will lay the foundation of the main evidence to prove the bank scam which crushed the three targeted banks.
Initially, Kroll investigated the period of May-November 2014, as “loans the robbed banks offered to affiliated persons during this period, increased more than twice and accounted for 13 billion lei on 24 November 2014. The long-term investigation aims to recover stolen funds and identify all the parties who benefited from the bank scam,” BNM states.
The first stage of the investigation in progress “confirmed the initial conclusions of the previously completed preliminary investigation and showed clear evidence on Ilan Shor’s crucial involvement, as well as on the participation of companies and persons affiliated to him (Grupul Sor- Shor Group) in the bank scam,” BNM’s press service highlights.
The information collected and analyzed by Kroll, confirmed that “Shor Group was linked to the acquisition of the shares of the three Moldovan banks in 2012-2014 and directly controlled their important decisions, including the ones related to offering “loans” in favor of interconnected companies, without any intention to return them.
The group also created a network of companies, which helped stole and launder the money, thus gaining a significant part of the stolen funds. At this stage, Kroll traced transactions accounting for more than 350 million dollars, which could be directly attributed to the bank scam the three banks had been involved into,” BNM press release notes.
According to BNM, money laundering and dissipation was carried out through an extended network of banking companies and accounts in multiple jurisdictions, inclusively through Moldovan bank accounts, as well as from Latvia, Estonia, Russia and Cyprus. Experts are currently taking measures to track down the flow of funds and identify the persons who benefited from the bank scam.
Representatives of the Kroll Company, in charge of investigating the Moldovan bank scam, paid a visit to Chisinau last week and unveiled a “progress report” on the investigation of the fraud. According to the company’s approximations, Moldova will succeed to recover between 30 and 35 per cent of the stolen money from outside, and about two billion lei from inside the country. A statement to this effect was made by Parliament Speaker Andrian Candu during a TV show on 24 March.
Geopolitics Nations Crisis
- eurasiareview.com – Is Moldova a twin of Ukraine? – The political crisis in Moldova goes back to 2005 when the country had become a part of the Associations Agreement with the European Union. According to Iuri Vitneanschi, a city council member, “the Moldavian people were brainwashed by the pro-European propaganda while the government announced a pro-European political course for the country”. However, the reality the reality proved to be different from promising slogans.
- voltairenet.org/ – Multipolar world with media hegemony? – States struggling against imperialism are probably not sufficiently aware of the importance of having non-aligned media. Yet, obviously, Russia Today, Press TV, Telesur and Al Mayadeen are better at defending freedom than other weapons. For these are indeed weapons we are talking about. The first magic tool that the US uses for world domination is the dollar. The word “magic” is not just hyperbole; the dollar is indeed a magical creation since the Federal Reserve can create unlimited amounts in its computers, and the world sees these dollars as having an effective value, with an ulterior motive: petrodollars.
- com/analysis/ – Who will get Moldova. A Roulette Wheel – Like Ukraine, Moldova is both weak and divided. Unlike Ukraine, Moldova does not have traditional or ethnic ties to Russia; it is ethnically and linguistically Romanian. This, along with Moldova’s small size and strategic location, is a main factor in the weakness of the state and its ability to balance between external powers.
$1bn frauds in Moldova 27.12.2017 | BSSB
- Helsinki was a historic event 18.07.2018
- A guide to Ukraine 18.07.2018
- Helsinki summit. What to expect? 17.07.2018
- 2. Romanian anti-corruption summer 17.07.2018
- The Suicide of Europe 17.07.2018
- 1. Romanian anti-corruption summer 16.07.2018
- EU and Austria ‘on same page’ 16.07.2018
- A softer Brexit 12.07.2018
- 1. Moldova in Transition 12.07.2018
- 1. When East becomes stronger 11.07.2018
- A precarious moment for the EU 11.07.2018
- From the Intermarium to the Three Seas 10.07.2018
- The End of the EU 06.07.2018
- 2. EU`s ideals under threat 06.07.2018
- Not about Merkel 05.07.2018