Smolensk. A Hero City
The Battle of Smolensk, a key engagement in the German’s drive towards Moscow, stretched from July 10 to September 10, 1941.
Smolensk (Смоленск) is situated in western European Russia on the Dnieper River (see map). Much older than Moscow, it was one of the first cities to be founded in old Rus. First mentioned in the chronicles in 863, it became an important river port situated on various medieval trade routes connecting Scandinavia and the Baltic lands with Byzantium.
Being such an important crossroads in eastern Europe, it has been ravaged no less than 20 times by the fires of war. It was sacked by the Mongols in the 12th century, captured by the Lithuanians in the 15th century, retaken by the Russians in the 16th century, occupied by the Poles in the 17th century… Other notable invaders include Napoleon, who seized the city after a heroic battle in 1812 and the Germans who captured the city after heavy fighting in 1941. The title of Hero City was bestowed on Smolensk after the war.
Today, with a population of roughly 350,000 inhabitants, the city is an important rail junction, a distribution point for the region’s agricultural products, plus a commercial, cultural, and educational center. Although virtually razed during fighting in World War II, many of Smolensk’s historical landmarks have been rebuilt to their original.
Geopolitics Nations Crisis
- eurasiareview.com – Is Moldova a twin of Ukraine? – The political crisis in Moldova goes back to 2005 when the country had become a part of the Associations Agreement with the European Union. According to Iuri Vitneanschi, a city council member, “the Moldavian people were brainwashed by the pro-European propaganda while the government announced a pro-European political course for the country”. However, the reality the reality proved to be different from promising slogans.
- voltairenet.org/ – Multipolar world with media hegemony? – States struggling against imperialism are probably not sufficiently aware of the importance of having non-aligned media. Yet, obviously, Russia Today, Press TV, Telesur and Al Mayadeen are better at defending freedom than other weapons. For these are indeed weapons we are talking about. The first magic tool that the US uses for world domination is the dollar. The word “magic” is not just hyperbole; the dollar is indeed a magical creation since the Federal Reserve can create unlimited amounts in its computers, and the world sees these dollars as having an effective value, with an ulterior motive: petrodollars.
- stratfor.com/analysis/ – Who will get Moldova. A Roulette Wheel – Like Ukraine, Moldova is both weak and divided. Unlike Ukraine, Moldova does not have traditional or ethnic ties to Russia; it is ethnically and linguistically Romanian. This, along with Moldova’s small size and strategic location, is a main factor in the weakness of the state and its ability to balance between external power
The life of Ukrainians after Maidan 18.11.2014 | BSSB
WWII: it began with censorship chaos 25.04.2017 | BSSB
Bruxelles. ЕC without freedom of expression — the tool of the international c... 07.10.2014 | BSSB
Battle of Berlin 29.04.2016 | BSSB
Siege of Leningrad 12.04.2016 | BSSB
Peace negotiations in Ukraine 11.05.2015 | BSSB
True Glory 06.05.2015 | BSSB
Novorossiysk. A Hero City 25.04.2016 | BSSB
TEARS OF HAPPINESS! The End of the War in Europe... 09.05.2017 | BSSB
30 April 1945 30.04.2015 | BSSB
Fortress Berlin April 1945. Video 20.04.2015 | BSSB
Almost 12 months on from Maidan… Destruction of Ukraine – 1... 21.11.2014 | BSSB
- Modern Diplomacy and Geopolitics 19.10.2018
- The Baltics are under surveillance 19.10.2018
- Fuelling the Future 18.10.2018
- The fate of the West 18.10.2018
- The Future of European Geostrategy 17.10.2018
- 2. The Three Seas summit 17.10.2018
- Moral standards threatens EU 16.10.2018
- Eastern Europe is showing the way 15.10.2018
- „AFTER EUROPE“? 12.10.2018
- Ukraine: five more years of hope 12.10.2018
- Burning questions on Italy 11.10.2018
- Poland is changing 11.10.2018
- The measure of ideology in the EU 10.10.2018
- At a time of structural change 09.10.2018
- 1. The Three Seas summit 09.10.2018