Smolensk. A Hero City
The Battle of Smolensk, a key engagement in the German’s drive towards Moscow, stretched from July 10 to September 10, 1941.
Smolensk (Смоленск) is situated in western European Russia on the Dnieper River (see map). Much older than Moscow, it was one of the first cities to be founded in old Rus. First mentioned in the chronicles in 863, it became an important river port situated on various medieval trade routes connecting Scandinavia and the Baltic lands with Byzantium.
Being such an important crossroads in eastern Europe, it has been ravaged no less than 20 times by the fires of war. It was sacked by the Mongols in the 12th century, captured by the Lithuanians in the 15th century, retaken by the Russians in the 16th century, occupied by the Poles in the 17th century… Other notable invaders include Napoleon, who seized the city after a heroic battle in 1812 and the Germans who captured the city after heavy fighting in 1941. The title of Hero City was bestowed on Smolensk after the war.
Today, with a population of roughly 350,000 inhabitants, the city is an important rail junction, a distribution point for the region’s agricultural products, plus a commercial, cultural, and educational center. Although virtually razed during fighting in World War II, many of Smolensk’s historical landmarks have been rebuilt to their original.
Geopolitics Nations Crisis
- eurasiareview.com – Is Moldova a twin of Ukraine? – The political crisis in Moldova goes back to 2005 when the country had become a part of the Associations Agreement with the European Union. According to Iuri Vitneanschi, a city council member, “the Moldavian people were brainwashed by the pro-European propaganda while the government announced a pro-European political course for the country”. However, the reality the reality proved to be different from promising slogans.
- voltairenet.org/ – Multipolar world with media hegemony? – States struggling against imperialism are probably not sufficiently aware of the importance of having non-aligned media. Yet, obviously, Russia Today, Press TV, Telesur and Al Mayadeen are better at defending freedom than other weapons. For these are indeed weapons we are talking about. The first magic tool that the US uses for world domination is the dollar. The word “magic” is not just hyperbole; the dollar is indeed a magical creation since the Federal Reserve can create unlimited amounts in its computers, and the world sees these dollars as having an effective value, with an ulterior motive: petrodollars.
- stratfor.com/analysis/ – Who will get Moldova. A Roulette Wheel – Like Ukraine, Moldova is both weak and divided. Unlike Ukraine, Moldova does not have traditional or ethnic ties to Russia; it is ethnically and linguistically Romanian. This, along with Moldova’s small size and strategic location, is a main factor in the weakness of the state and its ability to balance between external power
Moscow and Kiev to reduce tension 14.10.2014 | BSSB
Fortress Berlin April 1945. Video 20.04.2015 | BSSB
WWII: it began with censorship chaos 25.04.2017 | BSSB
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Video 21.04.2015 | BSSB
Spring of life 28.04.2015 | BSSB
Victory Day 09.05.2016 | BSSB
Divided and displaced in Ukraine: two groups facing two different futures? (Part... 04.10.2014 | BSSB
Siege of Leningrad 12.04.2016 | BSSB
Kiew. A Hero City 15.04.2016 | BSSB
Defiance. Video 22.04.2015 | BSSB
Ukraine. The error paid by blood 05.10.2014 | BSSB
World War II. The End Game 27.04.2016 | BSSB
- 1. Ukraine: a pretty grim picture 25.05.2018
- Outsider for Italy 25.05.2018
- East-European Bridge 24.05.2018
- One of the oldest videos ever 24.05.2018
- Eastern Europe Vs. Western Europe 23.05.2018
- 1. Slovenia: Basic Forward, Basic Back 23.05.2018
- Sea Power 22.05.2018
- Eastern Europe 25 Years 22.05.2018
- Reflecting on where the EU came from 21.05.2018
- 1. East European Bridge 21.05.2018
- The Balkans and the magnetic poles around 18.05.2018
- Meanwhile in Moldova 18.05.2018
- The “unionization” of debt 17.05.2018
- Chomsky on an urgent question 17.05.2018
- About the Future of Europe 16.05.2018