Smolensk. A Hero City
The Battle of Smolensk, a key engagement in the German’s drive towards Moscow, stretched from July 10 to September 10, 1941.
Smolensk (Смоленск) is situated in western European Russia on the Dnieper River (see map). Much older than Moscow, it was one of the first cities to be founded in old Rus. First mentioned in the chronicles in 863, it became an important river port situated on various medieval trade routes connecting Scandinavia and the Baltic lands with Byzantium.
Being such an important crossroads in eastern Europe, it has been ravaged no less than 20 times by the fires of war. It was sacked by the Mongols in the 12th century, captured by the Lithuanians in the 15th century, retaken by the Russians in the 16th century, occupied by the Poles in the 17th century… Other notable invaders include Napoleon, who seized the city after a heroic battle in 1812 and the Germans who captured the city after heavy fighting in 1941. The title of Hero City was bestowed on Smolensk after the war.
Today, with a population of roughly 350,000 inhabitants, the city is an important rail junction, a distribution point for the region’s agricultural products, plus a commercial, cultural, and educational center. Although virtually razed during fighting in World War II, many of Smolensk’s historical landmarks have been rebuilt to their original.
Geopolitics Nations Crisis
- eurasiareview.com – Is Moldova a twin of Ukraine? – The political crisis in Moldova goes back to 2005 when the country had become a part of the Associations Agreement with the European Union. According to Iuri Vitneanschi, a city council member, “the Moldavian people were brainwashed by the pro-European propaganda while the government announced a pro-European political course for the country”. However, the reality the reality proved to be different from promising slogans.
- voltairenet.org/ – Multipolar world with media hegemony? – States struggling against imperialism are probably not sufficiently aware of the importance of having non-aligned media. Yet, obviously, Russia Today, Press TV, Telesur and Al Mayadeen are better at defending freedom than other weapons. For these are indeed weapons we are talking about. The first magic tool that the US uses for world domination is the dollar. The word “magic” is not just hyperbole; the dollar is indeed a magical creation since the Federal Reserve can create unlimited amounts in its computers, and the world sees these dollars as having an effective value, with an ulterior motive: petrodollars.
- stratfor.com/analysis/ – Who will get Moldova. A Roulette Wheel – Like Ukraine, Moldova is both weak and divided. Unlike Ukraine, Moldova does not have traditional or ethnic ties to Russia; it is ethnically and linguistically Romanian. This, along with Moldova’s small size and strategic location, is a main factor in the weakness of the state and its ability to balance between external power
The World At War 05.05.2015 | BSSB
Sevastopol. A Hero City 19.04.2016 | BSSB
Victory Parade Red Square 24. June 1945 09.05.2015 | BSSB
Fortress Berlin April 1945. Video 20.04.2015 | BSSB
Liberation of Belarus 13.04.2016 | BSSB
30 April 1945 30.04.2015 | BSSB
Wargaming Russia’s Military Options in Ukraine... 13.03.2015 | BSSB
Ukraine. The error paid by blood 05.10.2014 | BSSB
Moscow. A Hero City 14.04.2016 | BSSB
Gaming a Russian Offensive 13.03.2015 | BSSB
WWII: it began with censorship chaos 25.04.2017 | BSSB
West and Russia. A way forward 05.05.2015 | BSSB
- Kofi Annan: The Peacemaker To Remember 20.08.2018
- 1.The bad boys of Central 20.08.2018
- 2. Disappointing EU member states 17.08.2018
- Key points by Henry Kissinger 17.08.2018
- 2. The Global Magnitsky Act for Moldova 17.08.2018
- When East Meets West 16.08.2018
- Europe is looking east 16.08.2018
- Sea Power 15.08.2018
- VIENNEAST 15.08.2018
- Romanians back on the street 14.08.2018
- Think Tanks in Free Societies 13.08.2018
- 1. Disappointing EU member states 13.08.2018
- Eastern Europe Is Showing the Way 10.08.2018
- 1. The Global Magnitsky Act for Moldova 10.08.2018
- Great Decisions 2018 09.08.2018