Belarus. Analytics. Nationalists infect the country
BSSB.BE vz.ru 18.11.2015
The intensification of nationalists in Ukraine has increased aggressiveness of anti-Russian forces in other post-Soviet countries, including a friendly to Russia Belarus.
For the Russian audience it rather an atypical picture: Belarusian are traditionally the closest nation for Russians and for sure when Russians see their brothers Belarusians marching under the red-and-black flags with portraits of Stepan Bandera and Yevhen Konovalets , shouting insults at Russia, it a big shock for them.
As a matter of fact the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) was responsible for the mass murder of residents of Brest region after the world war II, and many militants from the UPA participated in punitive actions against partisans and civilians in the occupied territory of Belarus.
Belarusian nationalism is Terra Incognita not only for Russian society, but also for Belarussian authorities. Most citizens of the country support the foreign policy of Russia, but according to the polls there is a strong and stable “pro-European” vector that has already won 25 % sympathies in Belarussian society.
27.1% of respondents believe that Russian, Ukrainians and Belarusians don’t belong to one nation (almost the same figure was nine years ago). It hard to say, whether it is good or bad . The presence of nationalists in political life of Belarus gives the authorities the trump card in negotiations with Moscow. Lukashenko has chosen convenient constructive position for bilateral relations
The experts Butorina Olga and Alexander Zakharov have noted , that Eurasian integration “couldn`t base only on economic motives.”
There should be a strong “socio-humanitarian component”, otherwise we can lose the very meaning of association and it might cause a crisis and be a fruitful ground for nationalist revenge.
Alex Elovikov historian
The first French-Russian Meeting 30.05.2017 | BSSB
Turkish tête-à-tête 14.11.2017 | BSSB
- 1. Ukraine: a pretty grim picture 25.05.2018
- Outsider for Italy 25.05.2018
- East-European Bridge 24.05.2018
- One of the oldest videos ever 24.05.2018
- Eastern Europe Vs. Western Europe 23.05.2018
- 1. Slovenia: Basic Forward, Basic Back 23.05.2018
- Sea Power 22.05.2018
- Eastern Europe 25 Years 22.05.2018
- Reflecting on where the EU came from 21.05.2018
- 1. East European Bridge 21.05.2018
- The Balkans and the magnetic poles around 18.05.2018
- Meanwhile in Moldova 18.05.2018
- The “unionization” of debt 17.05.2018
- Chomsky on an urgent question 17.05.2018
- About the Future of Europe 16.05.2018