Belarus. Analytics. Nationalists infect the country
BSSB.BE vz.ru 18.11.2015
The intensification of nationalists in Ukraine has increased aggressiveness of anti-Russian forces in other post-Soviet countries, including a friendly to Russia Belarus.
For the Russian audience it rather an atypical picture: Belarusian are traditionally the closest nation for Russians and for sure when Russians see their brothers Belarusians marching under the red-and-black flags with portraits of Stepan Bandera and Yevhen Konovalets , shouting insults at Russia, it a big shock for them.
As a matter of fact the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) was responsible for the mass murder of residents of Brest region after the world war II, and many militants from the UPA participated in punitive actions against partisans and civilians in the occupied territory of Belarus.
Belarusian nationalism is Terra Incognita not only for Russian society, but also for Belarussian authorities. Most citizens of the country support the foreign policy of Russia, but according to the polls there is a strong and stable “pro-European” vector that has already won 25 % sympathies in Belarussian society.
27.1% of respondents believe that Russian, Ukrainians and Belarusians don’t belong to one nation (almost the same figure was nine years ago). It hard to say, whether it is good or bad . The presence of nationalists in political life of Belarus gives the authorities the trump card in negotiations with Moscow. Lukashenko has chosen convenient constructive position for bilateral relations
The experts Butorina Olga and Alexander Zakharov have noted , that Eurasian integration “couldn`t base only on economic motives.”
There should be a strong “socio-humanitarian component”, otherwise we can lose the very meaning of association and it might cause a crisis and be a fruitful ground for nationalist revenge.
Alex Elovikov historian
The first French-Russian Meeting 30.05.2017 | BSSB
Germans fear big challenges, they’ll support Merkel at 2017 elections’ – geopolitics expert
When is the German election 2017? Will Angela Merkel LOSE power?
Be unique. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” Mark Twain
How Western Capital Colonized Eastern Europe. Western investment plays such an important role in economies of all these countries that nationalist politicians make their countries look more like truculent colonies than partners in a grand integration project. bloomberg.com
The unexpected turn of #SaakashviliSunday. We want to go home. Abandoning the train, Saakashvili and his entourage made a 30-minute drive to the popular border crossing at Medyka-Shehyni. The crossing was closed immediately after Saakashvili left the Polish side. neweasterneurope.eu
- 1. As the old Market Church bells tolled 19.09.2017
- Sound smart during German election season 18.09.2017
- 2. The Elections Matter Not Just for Germany 15.09.2017
- 2 – Germany: re-election instead of election 15.09.2017
- 1. The Elections Matter Not Just for Germany 14.09.2017
- 1. Willing to put Merkel back in charge 14.09.2017
- German elections. What to expect after? 13.09.2017
- Merkel. Bundeselections seldom inspire 13.09.2017
- Ukraine. Crosses the border and closes the gap 12.09.2017
- 2. Merkel is to end the EU 12.09.2017
- 1. Merkel is to end the EU 11.09.2017
- Merkel’s Germany. Politics-as-pandemonium 11.09.2017
- 2. Merkel’s election in Germany: kind of a failure 08.09.2017
- Eastern Europe about the EU 08.09.2017
- 1. Merkel’s election in Germany: kind of a failure 07.09.2017