Is the formulation “the West has sold Ukraine” true?
Germany Russia Ukraine
radioporusski.pl bssb.be 24.10.2014
Crisis in Ukraine should be solved only in a diplomatic way, – Angela Merkel is convinced. This was told in Slovakia.
Merkel also has underlined the necessity to put a maximal efforts for the talks between Ukraine, Russia and EU concerning gas deliveries soonest completion. Here the Ukrainian crisis is spoken with the German journalist and publicist Boris Rajtshusterom.
– Recently in Slovakia Merkel has told that it is necessary to solve the Ukrainian-Russian conflict as soon as possible. How does she wants to achieve?
– I am afraid that she does not know. Neither any European politician. They well understand that the key to a solution of a problem lies in Moscow. However, all perfectly understand that it will be difficult or even just impossible. All beat around the bush.
Well, the key is in Moscow, but Putin says that he has no it. Just because generally speaking we are the third party, not anyhow ivolved. There is a situation: how we can do anything if one who all decides says that he has nothing to do with.
– Is Merkel afraid of this unpredictability at the present stage?
– On the one hand, very much afraid. But on the other hand, the most important trump of Germany, Merkel and the West is to understand Putin’s thinking. Merkel is in a unique situation – among all leaders of the West she is the only, who has grown up in the socialist environment.
She understands, how this system works. Others do not understand it.
Obama may spend four years at university, but he to it will not learn. Therefore Merkel is a unique case. So are the Poles – they understand too, but are not treated seriously in the West.
Therefore Merkel plays a key role. However, with one big reservation: her character trait – decision-making is extremely hard work for her. She waits too long.
– Does Merkel understand what Putin wants?
– Yes, Merkel understands everything perfectly. But she does not see a way out and simply tries to soften the situation. Merkel is not naive. Putin now tries to maintain tension: on the one hand, he controls Ukraine, on the other – lifting of sanctions and renewal of the relations with westerners.
Alfred Kokh, the former vice-premier of the Russian Federation thinks that Eastern Ukraine is used to make all forget Crimea. It is quite probable. I think, the West has already reconciled that Crimea belongs to Russia.
If Putin yields a part of East Ukraine it will turn out that he has got Crimea for nothing.
If he turns stubborn and don’t yield with Eastern Ukraine, it will be more difficult for the West to close eyes and tighten lips.
The concession mood is very strong. I think the West position is very weak. If the West makes concessions, the Russian Federation will accept it as a green light. And then nothing but waiting a year, maybe, even months before the next offence take place and then we will see…
– Then “the West has sold Ukraine” formulation turns out true?
– Alas, but it seems likely. We will see – if the West lifts sanctions then yes, has sold. If sanctions remain, I would tell that the West is not so eager to stand up for Ukraine.
More exactly, just pretends that it stands up for it, but to very small extent.
Boris Reitschuster — radioporusski.pl – bssb.be
1. As the old Market Church bells tolled 19.09.2017 | BSSB
Is Ukraine Too Pro-West for the West? 08.11.2014 | BSSB
Ukraine Strives to Maintain Fragile Truce After Day of Peace... 12.12.2014 | BSSB
1. Frau Merkel and the Real Battle 21.09.2017 | BSSB
1. The Elections Matter Not Just for Germany... 14.09.2017 | BSSB
Putin’s view of power was formed watching East Germany collapse... 14.10.2014 | BSSB
Bundeswahl for the next decade 22.09.2017 | BSSB
Moscow and Kiev to reduce tension 14.10.2014 | BSSB
Eyes are on Merkel’s next coalition 25.09.2017 | BSSB
Putin Wants Total Victory In Eastern Ukraine — Not A ‘Frozen Conflict... 14.11.2014 | BSSB
The World’s Most Powerful Women 2015 28.05.2015 | BSSB
Owen Matthews: meet Vladimir Putin’s real challengers... 30.08.2014 | BSSB
- 1. Eurocrisis. Let`s count 1,2,3 19.01.2018
- Turkish Factor for Europe 19.01.2018
- 1. Keep your eyes opened in 2018 18.01.2018
- 2. A land where we live well and happily 18.01.2018
- Poland and the EU is a “lose-lose” situation 17.01.2018
- A land where we live well and happily 17.01.2018
- 2. Churchill and the bitter truth 16.01.2018
- 1. Churchill and the bitter truth 15.01.2018
- Lust&Sound in the EU 15.01.2018
- 2. Ukraine: a quasi-authoritarian kleptocracy 12.01.2018
- Will the South fight against the EU? 12.01.2018
- 1. Ukraine: a quasi-authoritarian kleptocracy 11.01.2018
- 2. Life in Transnistria is not all that bad 11.01.2018
- 4. What are the capitals dreaming of in 2018? 10.01.2018
- 1. Life in Transnistria is not all that bad 10.01.2018