Is the formulation “the West has sold Ukraine” true?
Germany Russia Ukraine
radioporusski.pl bssb.be 24.10.2014
Crisis in Ukraine should be solved only in a diplomatic way, – Angela Merkel is convinced. This was told in Slovakia.
Merkel also has underlined the necessity to put a maximal efforts for the talks between Ukraine, Russia and EU concerning gas deliveries soonest completion. Here the Ukrainian crisis is spoken with the German journalist and publicist Boris Rajtshusterom.
– Recently in Slovakia Merkel has told that it is necessary to solve the Ukrainian-Russian conflict as soon as possible. How does she wants to achieve?
– I am afraid that she does not know. Neither any European politician. They well understand that the key to a solution of a problem lies in Moscow. However, all perfectly understand that it will be difficult or even just impossible. All beat around the bush.
Well, the key is in Moscow, but Putin says that he has no it. Just because generally speaking we are the third party, not anyhow ivolved. There is a situation: how we can do anything if one who all decides says that he has nothing to do with.
– Is Merkel afraid of this unpredictability at the present stage?
– On the one hand, very much afraid. But on the other hand, the most important trump of Germany, Merkel and the West is to understand Putin’s thinking. Merkel is in a unique situation – among all leaders of the West she is the only, who has grown up in the socialist environment.
She understands, how this system works. Others do not understand it.
Obama may spend four years at university, but he to it will not learn. Therefore Merkel is a unique case. So are the Poles – they understand too, but are not treated seriously in the West.
Therefore Merkel plays a key role. However, with one big reservation: her character trait – decision-making is extremely hard work for her. She waits too long.
– Does Merkel understand what Putin wants?
– Yes, Merkel understands everything perfectly. But she does not see a way out and simply tries to soften the situation. Merkel is not naive. Putin now tries to maintain tension: on the one hand, he controls Ukraine, on the other – lifting of sanctions and renewal of the relations with westerners.
Alfred Kokh, the former vice-premier of the Russian Federation thinks that Eastern Ukraine is used to make all forget Crimea. It is quite probable. I think, the West has already reconciled that Crimea belongs to Russia.
If Putin yields a part of East Ukraine it will turn out that he has got Crimea for nothing.
If he turns stubborn and don’t yield with Eastern Ukraine, it will be more difficult for the West to close eyes and tighten lips.
The concession mood is very strong. I think the West position is very weak. If the West makes concessions, the Russian Federation will accept it as a green light. And then nothing but waiting a year, maybe, even months before the next offence take place and then we will see…
– Then “the West has sold Ukraine” formulation turns out true?
– Alas, but it seems likely. We will see – if the West lifts sanctions then yes, has sold. If sanctions remain, I would tell that the West is not so eager to stand up for Ukraine.
More exactly, just pretends that it stands up for it, but to very small extent.
Boris Reitschuster — radioporusski.pl – bssb.be
Ukraine Strives to Maintain Fragile Truce After Day of Peace... 12.12.2014 | BSSB
Merkel. Another four more years in office... 26.09.2017 | BSSB
German elections. What to expect after? 13.09.2017 | BSSB
Italy. Press about the Russian President’s address... 08.12.2014 | BSSB
What would be the impact on Europe should Ukraine go bust? Video... 05.01.2015 | BSSB
Putin Wants Total Victory In Eastern Ukraine — Not A ‘Frozen Conflict... 24.11.2014 | BSSB
Germany. Nothing new in the west 28.11.2016 | BSSB
Putin says he’s convinced solution to Ukraine crisis possible... 17.11.2014 | BSSB
Why Russia’s Economy Will Not Collapse 30.01.2015 | BSSB
Facing a Fragile Ceasefire 20.02.2015 | BSSB
1. As the old Market Church bells tolled 19.09.2017 | BSSB
Putin wages information war in Ukraine worthy of George Orwell... 18.11.2014 | BSSB
- 1. Ukraine: a pretty grim picture 25.05.2018
- Outsider for Italy 25.05.2018
- East-European Bridge 24.05.2018
- One of the oldest videos ever 24.05.2018
- Eastern Europe Vs. Western Europe 23.05.2018
- 1. Slovenia: Basic Forward, Basic Back 23.05.2018
- Sea Power 22.05.2018
- Eastern Europe 25 Years 22.05.2018
- Reflecting on where the EU came from 21.05.2018
- 1. East European Bridge 21.05.2018
- The Balkans and the magnetic poles around 18.05.2018
- Meanwhile in Moldova 18.05.2018
- The “unionization” of debt 17.05.2018
- Chomsky on an urgent question 17.05.2018
- About the Future of Europe 16.05.2018