Moldova. New Prime Minister Appointed
BSSB.BE occrp.org 03.11.2015
The president of Moldova appointed an interim prime minister on Friday, after the country’s parliament voted to dismiss a Government led by the Liberal-Democrat Valeriu Strelet.
The former government was ousted in a no-confidence vote last week, crumbling in the face of corruption allegations.
President Nicolae Timofti appointed deputy prime minister Gheorghe Brega as interim premier until a new government can be put in place.
The Parliament of the Republic of Moldova is made up of 101 seats.
The proposal to dismiss Strelet’s government, put forward by Moldova’s Socialist and Communist parties, passed with 65 votes in favor.
After the dismissal of his government, Strelet told journalists: “The so-called corruption allegations [are] false and baseless.”
Strelet had been accused by political opponents of wasting time defending former premier Vlad Filat, who was arrested Oct. 15 in connection with the theft of US$ 1.5 billion from three of the country’s banks in 2014 (an event dubbed by media “the theft of the century”).
Prosecutors say Filat could face up to 10 years in prison. He is being held in custody while investigations continue, and denies wrongdoing.
Gheorghe Bregha, member of Moldova’s Liberal Party, has been an MP since 2009.
A new government must be approved by Parliament within three months.
Tagsdeputy prime minister dismiss Strelet’s government Fuel for the firing Gheorghe Brega Gheorghe Bregha Gray Eminence member of Moldova’s Liberal Party Moldova Moldova's Liberal Democratic Party National Anti-Corruption Centre near parliament pro-European Red Flags Socialist and Communist parties the capital’s National Square the civic platform Dignity and Justice the EU the Moldovan National Bank vice chairman Vlad Plahotniuc “Theft of the Century ” distant future
Transnistria Moves Toward Russia 06.04.2016 | BSSB
2 – Moldova: A Borderland Within the Borderland... 04.10.2016 | BSSB
2. Moldova: in the grey zone of Europe 15.03.2018 | BSSB
USA. Who Has Topped Nixon? 04.11.2016 | BSSB
2 – The Politics of Language in Moldova 18.10.2016 | BSSB
2 – Moldova. Life is Less Joyous… 19.04.2016 | BSSB
1 – Alarm! Alarm! Moldova Warning 18.08.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova. Plahotniuc is not a saint 05.09.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Chronicles of one election 14.11.2016 | BSSB
Moldova : Forget about boredom 14.04.2016 | BSSB
Elections in Moldova. Final results 01.11.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. 15 Days of Filip-Plahotniuc 04.02.2016 | BSSB
- Helsinki was a historic event 18.07.2018
- A guide to Ukraine 18.07.2018
- Helsinki summit. What to expect? 17.07.2018
- 2. Romanian anti-corruption summer 17.07.2018
- The Suicide of Europe 17.07.2018
- 1. Romanian anti-corruption summer 16.07.2018
- EU and Austria ‘on same page’ 16.07.2018
- A softer Brexit 12.07.2018
- 1. Moldova in Transition 12.07.2018
- 1. When East becomes stronger 11.07.2018
- A precarious moment for the EU 11.07.2018
- From the Intermarium to the Three Seas 10.07.2018
- The End of the EU 06.07.2018
- 2. EU`s ideals under threat 06.07.2018
- Not about Merkel 05.07.2018