BSSB.BE Foreign Policy Association 11.09.2018
* Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor Joseph Nye discusses about his concept of soft power in the context of American diplomacy.
Joseph Nye’s “Soft Power” theory produces in 20th century 90’s, which is a response to whether the of decline of United States happens. Joseph Nye’s “Soft Power” theory is both the product as the development of traditional international relationship theory continues and the consequence of requirement of the international policies of the United States.
The starting point of Joseph Nye’s “Soft Power” theory is the unsatisfactory towards the explanatory power with the realism pattern of international relationship. He thinks that realism emphasizes the hard power too much.
However, nowadays, cultures, policy, sense of value become more and more important when tackling the international affairs. In that case, all the countries should learn new source of power to realize their purpose. The new power is named as the soft power by Joseph Nye. It still provides China with significant insight into the development of Ideological and Political Education.
- In 1990, Joseph Nye pointed out in his published book “Is the US destined to lead the world? The change of the US power property”, in the international politics, the success of one country probably stems from the fact that other countries set it as the example, or accept a new rule.
- The power which can guide the capabilities, culture, ideology and the social system of others can be called the soft power.  This is the original definition by Joseph Nye. In the same year, Joseph Nye published the article “The soft power”, precisely defined the soft power, he pointed that the soft power is the ability of the cultural recognition and guide others to follow, and this powers stems from the attractiveness of the culture and sense of value of a nation.
- Since the proposal of the soft power, the viewpoint of Joseph Nye has a process to change. He gradually develops and improves the soft power concept. In the latter papers published by Joseph Nye, “the hard power and the soft power” and “the soft power——the success secret of international politics”, he pointed out the US not only has the hard power,
the military force and the economy, but also has the soft power, namely the culture and sense of value. “The soft power affects, attracts, and persuade others to believe and admit the rule, sense of value, life style and social system through the spiritual and morality requirements.”
Joseph Nye thinks that, the soft power is the ability to affect the hobbies. The dictatorial countries use the force the let out the commands, the democratic countries use the attractiveness. Thus, the soft power is called the major method in the daily politics. The expected achievements of one country in the international politics lies the fact that other countries show respect to their sense of value, and expects to reach the standard and then would love to follow.
The consequence to let others realize their dream is just to use the attractiveness. The soft power is not only the ability to persuade and guide, but also contains the attractive power.
The attractive power can let others choose the default attitude when doing something. Thus the soft power is the power which can attractive others. The soft power can use different methods to help cooperation, use the same sense of value to produce the attraction
- The publication is not an editorial. It reflects solely the point of view and argumentation of the author. The publication is presented in the presentation. Start in the previous issue. The original is available at: Foreign Policy Association