Moldova. Neither Pro-European nor Pro-Russia, Just Pro-Moldova
BSSB.BE reuters.com 14.11.2016
A pro-Russian candidate for president of Moldova has won the race, preliminary results showed on Sunday, following a campaign in which he vowed to slam the brakes on seven years of closer integration with the European Union.
- With 98 percent of votes counted, online results showed Socialist candidate Igor Dodon had won 54 percent, and his pro-European challenger, Maia Sandu, had just under 45 percent.
- Dodon’s win is in part a reflection of a loss of trust in pro-European leaders in the ex-Soviet state of 3.5 million, which was plunged into political and economic crisis after a corruption scandal came to light in late 2014.
- “I am president for the whole country, for those who voted for me and those who voted against,” Dodon said in a short briefing to journalists.
In another potential blow to the European Union brand, Bulgaria – which also held a presidential vote on Sunday – elected a pro-Russian candidate by a large margin, according to exit polls.
The president in Moldova is more than just a figurehead: he or she can return laws to parliament and dissolve the assembly in certain situations.
Dodon’s promise to pursue closer ties with Russia rather than the European Union is in direct conflict with the pro-European stance of the current government.
Prime Minister Pavel Filip said the two sides would need to work together in Moldova’s best interest.
“This includes key reforms needed for the country’s modernization and continued EU path, which cannot be reversed,” he said in emailed comments after polls closed.
Squeezed between Ukraine and EU member Romania, Moldova signed a political and trade agreement with the European bloc in 2014 that damaged its ties with Moscow, which imposed trade restrictions on Moldovan farming exports.
Dodon’s Socialist party wants to scrap that agreement in favor of joining a Eurasian economic union dominated by Russia – a policy backed by many Moldovans who have suffered financially from the goods embargo and broader economic downturn.
“He’s got experience and knows that now is not the time to be turning a back to Russia, while she (Sandu) only looks to Europe,” said pensioner Tatiana, declining to give her last name.
The banking scandal in Moldova involved the looting of $1 billion – the equivalent of an eighth of its economic output, highlighting the scale of corruption in Europe’s poorest nation.
“Local partisans of the West or EU have not only performed weakly but have performed perversely,” said William Hill, a former head of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) mission in Moldova.
“And this has gone a long way to discrediting popular faith in the ideals of the West and the prescriptions of the EU or the U.S. as effective medicine for what ails their societies and their economies.”
In a sign of the waning enthusiasm for the EU, just 30.9 percent of Moldovans would currently support joining as a full member, compared to 44 percent favoring the Eurasian Customs Union, a survey by Moldova’s Institute for Public Policy showed in October.
(Writing by Matthias Williams and Alessandra Prentice; editing by Jane Merriman and Mary Milliken)
Conflicts Eurosceptocism Geopolitics Economy Nations EU Parties Persons Youtube
*YOUTUBE -While You Were Sleeping (Full Documentary) HD – A glimpse at the prophetic fulfillment of various statements made by prominent authors, news media, academic sources and scripture. The genetic manipulation is akin to sorcery and witchcraft which is all sanctioned and endorsed by the apostate system of Rome. In the meantime while all this is going on the United States is slowly grasping the hands of Rome and engaging in Spiritualism. What are the implications of these things for humanity? Will this lead towards the theocratic monopoly of power spoken about in Revelation 13 and other scriptures? Find out here.
*YOUTUBE – 50 YEAR OLD CARTOON PREDICTS THE FUTURE !!
*YOUTUBE – Madigan: Power. Privilege. Politics.He’s been called the “King of Illinois.” Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan is the most powerful politician in Illinois history, and the longest-serving state House speaker in the nation. This unprecedented documentary explores his reign over the Illinois Statehouse.
Moldova. A never ending story 18.04.2016 | BSSB
1 – Transnistria Zig-zagging toward election... 22.11.2016 | BSSB
2 – RM. Keeps on falling 02.09.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Victims of robbery of century 03.02.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova. A Useful Crisis 01.04.2016 | BSSB
National identity in Transnistria 25.11.2016 | BSSB
Two Romanias, Two Moldovas 24.08.2016 | BSSB
The change of power in Transnistria 31.08.2016 | BSSB
Moldova’s Bank Crisis. New Faces 15.03.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova. Life is Less Joyous… 18.04.2016 | BSSB
«Alea iacta est». Mess turns into chaos... 30.11.2014 | BSSB
Moldova hots Interparliamentary Conference... 05.03.2018 | BSSB
- 1. Mysterious Danube identity 16.03.2018
- Why nations fail 16.03.2018
- 2. Moldova: in the grey zone of Europe 15.03.2018
- 1.The ‘Big Lie’ 15.03.2018
- 1. Eastern Voices 14.03.2018
- The Balkan Silk Road 14.03.2018
- 1.Moldova: in the grey zone of Europe 13.03.2018
- Is Eastern Europe Part of Western Civilization? 12.03.2018
- EU: who’s next to exit 12.03.2018
- Stratfor. Geopolitics & Strategy 09.03.2018
- Mearsheimer: international relations 07.03.2018
- V4: the Shape We’re In 07.03.2018
- Stratfor. Europe’s Future 07.03.2018
- Italy: anti Europe Sentiment 06.03.2018
- Unirea: trick or treat 06.03.2018