Moldova. Neither Pro-European nor Pro-Russia, Just Pro-Moldova
BSSB.BE reuters.com 14.11.2016
A pro-Russian candidate for president of Moldova has won the race, preliminary results showed on Sunday, following a campaign in which he vowed to slam the brakes on seven years of closer integration with the European Union.
- With 98 percent of votes counted, online results showed Socialist candidate Igor Dodon had won 54 percent, and his pro-European challenger, Maia Sandu, had just under 45 percent.
- Dodon’s win is in part a reflection of a loss of trust in pro-European leaders in the ex-Soviet state of 3.5 million, which was plunged into political and economic crisis after a corruption scandal came to light in late 2014.
- “I am president for the whole country, for those who voted for me and those who voted against,” Dodon said in a short briefing to journalists.
In another potential blow to the European Union brand, Bulgaria – which also held a presidential vote on Sunday – elected a pro-Russian candidate by a large margin, according to exit polls.
The president in Moldova is more than just a figurehead: he or she can return laws to parliament and dissolve the assembly in certain situations.
Dodon’s promise to pursue closer ties with Russia rather than the European Union is in direct conflict with the pro-European stance of the current government.
Prime Minister Pavel Filip said the two sides would need to work together in Moldova’s best interest.
“This includes key reforms needed for the country’s modernization and continued EU path, which cannot be reversed,” he said in emailed comments after polls closed.
Squeezed between Ukraine and EU member Romania, Moldova signed a political and trade agreement with the European bloc in 2014 that damaged its ties with Moscow, which imposed trade restrictions on Moldovan farming exports.
Dodon’s Socialist party wants to scrap that agreement in favor of joining a Eurasian economic union dominated by Russia – a policy backed by many Moldovans who have suffered financially from the goods embargo and broader economic downturn.
“He’s got experience and knows that now is not the time to be turning a back to Russia, while she (Sandu) only looks to Europe,” said pensioner Tatiana, declining to give her last name.
The banking scandal in Moldova involved the looting of $1 billion – the equivalent of an eighth of its economic output, highlighting the scale of corruption in Europe’s poorest nation.
“Local partisans of the West or EU have not only performed weakly but have performed perversely,” said William Hill, a former head of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) mission in Moldova.
“And this has gone a long way to discrediting popular faith in the ideals of the West and the prescriptions of the EU or the U.S. as effective medicine for what ails their societies and their economies.”
In a sign of the waning enthusiasm for the EU, just 30.9 percent of Moldovans would currently support joining as a full member, compared to 44 percent favoring the Eurasian Customs Union, a survey by Moldova’s Institute for Public Policy showed in October.
(Writing by Matthias Williams and Alessandra Prentice; editing by Jane Merriman and Mary Milliken)
Conflicts Eurosceptocism Geopolitics Economy Nations EU Parties Persons Youtube
*YOUTUBE -While You Were Sleeping (Full Documentary) HD – A glimpse at the prophetic fulfillment of various statements made by prominent authors, news media, academic sources and scripture. The genetic manipulation is akin to sorcery and witchcraft which is all sanctioned and endorsed by the apostate system of Rome. In the meantime while all this is going on the United States is slowly grasping the hands of Rome and engaging in Spiritualism. What are the implications of these things for humanity? Will this lead towards the theocratic monopoly of power spoken about in Revelation 13 and other scriptures? Find out here.
*YOUTUBE – 50 YEAR OLD CARTOON PREDICTS THE FUTURE !!
*YOUTUBE – Madigan: Power. Privilege. Politics.He’s been called the “King of Illinois.” Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan is the most powerful politician in Illinois history, and the longest-serving state House speaker in the nation. This unprecedented documentary explores his reign over the Illinois Statehouse.
Election in Moldova. Pluralism by default... 11.11.2016 | BSSB
2. The Eastern Partnership alternative to the EU... 18.08.2017 | BSSB
Moldova. Dmitry Rogozin commented on removal of the Patria party from the electi... 29.11.2014 | BSSB
The end of Britain as we know it 12.05.2015 | BSSB
Transnistria`s love or hate destiny 12.09.2016 | BSSB
Second-Quarter Forecast 2016 29.03.2016 | BSSB
Moldova in the cauldron of corruption 27.01.2016 | BSSB
1 – Transnistria changes it`s mind 16.11.2016 | BSSB
Moldova speaks up it’s mind 17.10.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova. Corruption buries the country... 15.09.2016 | BSSB
Moldova takes tough stance on … 07.09.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Dodon «Idu Na Vy!» 01.11.2016 | BSSB
- 1. Keep your eyes opened in 2018 18.01.2018
- 2. A land where we live well and happily 18.01.2018
- Poland and the EU is a “lose-lose” situation 17.01.2018
- A land where we live well and happily 17.01.2018
- 2. Churchill and the bitter truth 16.01.2018
- 1. Churchill and the bitter truth 15.01.2018
- Lust&Sound in the EU 15.01.2018
- 2. Ukraine: a quasi-authoritarian kleptocracy 12.01.2018
- Will the South fight against the EU? 12.01.2018
- 1. Ukraine: a quasi-authoritarian kleptocracy 11.01.2018
- 2. Life in Transnistria is not all that bad 11.01.2018
- 4. What are the capitals dreaming of in 2018? 10.01.2018
- 1. Life in Transnistria is not all that bad 10.01.2018
- Ukraine. Between the dream world and reality 10.01.2018
- Ukraine’s Farmland Dilemma 09.01.2018