Moldova. Better than the Brave New World
BSSB.BE intellinews.com/ 26.10.2016
Moldovan court issues arrest warrant for Renato Usatii in Gorbuntsov case
A Chisinau court has issued an arrest warrant for Renato Usatii, the leader of the pro-Russian Partidul Nostruor Renato Usatii, the leader of the pro-Russian Partidul Nostru party, after prosecutors started an investigation related to his suspected involvement in the failed assassination of Russian banker German Gorbuntsov.
The timing of the case – just days before Moldova’s October 30 presidential election – supports claims from the pro-Russian opposition that the authorities are trying to intimidate Usatii, who is also the mayor of Moldova’s second city Balti. While he is too young to stand for the presidency, Usatii is popular in Moldova and recently gave his backing to Socialist Party (PSRM) leader Igor Dodon, who currently leads in the polls.
- Usatii has been accused of ordering the killing of Gorbuntsov in March 2012, the year after Gorbuntsov’s 80% stake in a small Moldovan bank, Universalbank, had been the target of an alleged raider attack. Gorbuntsov, who had been accused of money-laundering in Russia, was shot and badly wounded in London.
- The Russian banker has said he believes Russian interests were behind the shooting. However, Usatii has accused Moldovan oligarch Vlad Plahotniuc, the backer of Moldova’s ruling coalition, of giving the order to the killer.
- Moldovan police have already issued an international arrest warrant for Usatii. The Partidul Nostru leader is currently in Russia, where most of his business interests are located, and has said he will not return until after the presidential elections. The second ballot of the presidential elections is scheduled for November 13.
Dodon responded to the news of the arrest warrant by accusing the Moldova authorities of harassing Usatii. If Dodon wins the election he will have the power to appoint Moldova’s new head prosecutor. At present, Plahotnuic is believed to exercise a high degree of control over the Moldovan judiciary.
Haver Analytics- Covering the Global Economy
The relationship between Dodon and Usatii has been rocky; in the past the two have accused each other of collaboration with Plahotniuc. However, Usatii recently said he would support Dodon in the second round of the election, even though Partidul Nostru is fielding its own candidate, in the first round. Dodon is most likely to face Maia Sandu, the candidate for the pro-EU opposition, in the second round.
Usatii was also detained on his arrival in Chisinau on October 23 last year after a brief visit to Russia, when he released audio recordings apparently relating to bank frauds that resulted in losses of $1bn from several Moldovan banks. Two days later, he was freed by a Chisinau court without being charged.
Usatii, a 38-year-old languages graduate of Balti University, started his career at Chisinau Airport and then moved to Moldovan Railways. In 2004, he moved to Russia, where he heads Nizhni Novgorod based metal processing and machinery construction firm VPT-NN, a supplier of Russian Railways.
Usatii was briefly married to the daughter of Constantin Tampiza, the head of Lukoil Romania, who reportedly recommended him to Russian circles when Usatii moved to Moscow.
“[Usatii] is a young, but very cocky guy, backed by great people,” one businessman familiar with Usatii told Moldovan investigative journalism portal rumafia.com.
Conflicts Eurosceptocism Geopolitics Economy Nations EU Parties Persons Youtube
*Youtube – The Legend, Larry King – Interviews & Real Political Thoughts. The Legend, Larry King.Larry King is nothing short of THE name in talk shows- he rose from hunble radio beginnings to the most preeminent interview and news shows in the world. But how did he get there? How did he transition from humble and scared radio host to CNN and OraTV’s biggest host? Now that he’s departed CNN, what can he say is his real political point of view? What happened in his infamous Jerry Seinfeld interview? What is the first question he would ask Osama bin Laden?
*Youtube – As a preview to this month’s issue of Compass, Stratfor Managing Editor Cole Altom discusses OPEC’s cohesion problems and Europe’s defense industry, post Brexit.
*Youtube – Robert Kaplan: The Geopolitics of the World. NEWPORT, R.I. — Robert D. Kaplan, best-selling author and chief geopolitical analyst for Stratfor, discusses the geopolitics of the world at the 65th annual Current Strategy Forum at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, June 17, 2014.
Moldova – Lost in Transition 22.12.2014 | BSSB
1 – Alarm! Alarm! Moldova Warning 18.08.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Electoral Tricks and Manipulations... 19.10.2016 | BSSB
2 – Moldova. Erase and Rewind 29.08.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. One president with two heads 12.10.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova. On unionism and (geo)politics... 20.10.2016 | BSSB
Why Transnistria matters 01.09.2016 | BSSB
2 – The Politics of Language in Moldova 18.10.2016 | BSSB
2 – Moldova goes far too right 06.09.2016 | BSSB
1 – Retrospective of Moldovan Weekends 25.01.2016 | BSSB
1 – The Politics of Language in Moldova 17.10.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova: A Borderland‘s Fluid History... 19.09.2016 | BSSB
- 1. Mysterious Danube identity 16.03.2018
- Why nations fail 16.03.2018
- 2. Moldova: in the grey zone of Europe 15.03.2018
- 1.The ‘Big Lie’ 15.03.2018
- 1. Eastern Voices 14.03.2018
- The Balkan Silk Road 14.03.2018
- 1.Moldova: in the grey zone of Europe 13.03.2018
- Is Eastern Europe Part of Western Civilization? 12.03.2018
- EU: who’s next to exit 12.03.2018
- Stratfor. Geopolitics & Strategy 09.03.2018
- Mearsheimer: international relations 07.03.2018
- V4: the Shape We’re In 07.03.2018
- Stratfor. Europe’s Future 07.03.2018
- Italy: anti Europe Sentiment 06.03.2018
- Unirea: trick or treat 06.03.2018