Moldova. How European Pro-Europeans are
BSSB.BE intellinews.com/ 21.10.2016
The Chisinau prosecution office has re-opened a criminal investigation into the acquisition of security cameras to monitor school exams in 2013, during Maia Sandu’s term as education minister.
The probe was relaunched just days after Sandu was appointed the candidate for Moldova’s pro-EU opposition in the October 30 presidential election. The security cameras case was closed back in 2013 and its re-opening takes place during a tense electoral campaign, and amid the alleged control of the ruling party over some prosecutors and courts.
- The 2013 security cameras acquisition case has been re-opened “after media reported that it was closed under ambiguous circumstances”, Chisinau head prosecutor Igor Popa explained according to deschide.md. At this moment, the case is at an early stage of preliminary investigations, he added.
- The case allows the ruling Democratic Party (PD) to stress Sandu’s role in previous governments alongside less popular candidates such as Mihai Ghimpu of the Liberal Party and Iurie Leanca of the European Popular Party of Moldova.
- Sandu retaliated on October 17, saying that the ruling coalition is using all means possible to rig the elections. She mentioned the decision to ignore a bill that would allow students to vote in places other than their home towns and accused the ruling coalition of preventing young people from voting.
- Sandu also complained about the legal constraints on Moldovans living abroad who want to donate to electoral campaigns. Her party has challenged the provision in the Constitutional Court, which rejected the complaints as not grounded on a specific situation.
Notably, Sandu has called for security cameras to be installed at polling stations on October 30 and November 13. However, her request was ignored by the ruling coalition and the Central Election Commission.
Sandu has come under the fire from both the ruling coalition and the pro-Russian opposition, which seem to have found common ground, at least in the short term, despite the vocal rivalry they express.
The coordinator of the ruling coalition, PD deputy-president Vlad Plahotniuc, expressed firm pro-EU views in an interview with the friendly allmoldova.com portal. Speaking of Sandu he said on an ironic note she “has good intentions, even if she screws up most of the time”, “would probably not be a good president” and “is naïve and controlled by groups of interests, but at least would not destroy the country [as pro-Russian candidate Igor Dodon would]”.
These comments allowed Dodon to place Plahotniuc and Sandu in the same political faction, which he defined as being both pro-EU and dominated by oligarchs. In a Facebook post he accused the two of fraud and claimed they were “mere instruments of malign Western interests”. Dodon named both the PD’s candidate Marian Lupu and Sandu as “Plahotniuc’s protégées” and said they were part of the same “oligarchic regime”.
In fact, Sandu hopes to defeat Plahotniuc’s candidate Lupu after she was appointed the candidate of the three pro-EU opposition parties, a decision that was confirmed at a press conference on October 15. She has a strong chance of qualifying for the second round of the election, where she would almost certainly run against Socialist Party leader Dodon.
Conflicts Eurosceptocism Geopolitics Economy Nations EU Parties Persons Youtube
*Youtube – Why Read: The Importance of the Liberal Arts – Literature Against Philosophy (2004). The liberal arts (Latin: artes liberales) are those subjects or skills that in classical antiquity were considered essential for a free person (a citizen) to know in order to take an active part in civic life. In Ancient Greece this included participating in public debate, defending oneself in court, serving on juries, and most importantly, military service (slaves and resident aliens were by definition excluded from the duties and responsibilities of citizenship).
*Youtube – Highest Security Prison In The World – Full Documentary HD.
*Youtube – What Happens When You Die – Documentary National Geographic – Full Documentary Films
Local elections in Moldova 15.05.2015 | BSSB
Transnistria Moves Toward Russia 06.04.2016 | BSSB
Transnistria. Battle of the Titans 18.10.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Better than the Brave New World 26.10.2016 | BSSB
Elections in Moldova. Final results 01.11.2016 | BSSB
Transnistria. A Tale of Unification 12.09.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Dodon «Idu Na Vy!» 01.11.2016 | BSSB
1 – Moldova. Look closer to the sky 30.03.2016 | BSSB
Moldova needs 25 years to recover 19.05.2016 | BSSB
Transnistria. Elect and Reelect 13.10.2016 | BSSB
Moldova. Victims of robbery of century 03.02.2016 | BSSB
Stratfor, about elections from RM 27.10.2016 | BSSB
Germans fear big challenges, they’ll support Merkel at 2017 elections’ – geopolitics expert
When is the German election 2017? Will Angela Merkel LOSE power?
Be unique. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” Mark Twain
How Western Capital Colonized Eastern Europe. Western investment plays such an important role in economies of all these countries that nationalist politicians make their countries look more like truculent colonies than partners in a grand integration project. bloomberg.com
The unexpected turn of #SaakashviliSunday. We want to go home. Abandoning the train, Saakashvili and his entourage made a 30-minute drive to the popular border crossing at Medyka-Shehyni. The crossing was closed immediately after Saakashvili left the Polish side. neweasterneurope.eu
- Merkel. Another four more years in office 26.09.2017
- Germany: elect and rule 25.09.2017
- Eyes are on Merkel’s next coalition 25.09.2017
- Elections in Germany. Weather is would change something 22.09.2017
- Bundeswahl for the next decade 22.09.2017
- Theresa May Speech at United Nations General Assembly 21.09.2017
- 1. Frau Merkel and the Real Battle 21.09.2017
- 2. As the old Market Church bells tolled 20.09.2017
- 1. As the old Market Church bells tolled 19.09.2017
- Sound smart during German election season 18.09.2017
- 2. The Elections Matter Not Just for Germany 15.09.2017
- 2 – Germany: re-election instead of election 15.09.2017
- 1. The Elections Matter Not Just for Germany 14.09.2017
- 1. Willing to put Merkel back in charge 14.09.2017
- German elections. What to expect after? 13.09.2017