Sevastopol. A Hero City
A key battle on the eastern front, the Siege of Sevastopol proved to be a costly victory for the German Army. Hoping for a quick conclusion, German and Romanian forces soon found themselves conducting a bloody siege that lasted from October 30, 1941 until July 4, 1942.
Sevastopol was named a Hero City by Stalin on May 1, 1945
Siege of SevastopolHeroic members of the Red Army and Soviet Black Sea Fleet fought courageously, and despite daily bombardment by the Luftwaffe and German artillery (including the 1,350 tonne Schwerer Gustav railroad cannon), they managed to hold out for 250 days.
In the end, the heavily fortified Black Sea port finally fell, but not before consuming huge amounts of enemy munitions, men, petrol and time, all of which were sorely needed for the German’s 1942 summer offensive, Operation Blue.
Geopolitics Nations Crisis
- eurasiareview.com – Is Moldova a twin of Ukraine? – The political crisis in Moldova goes back to 2005 when the country had become a part of the Associations Agreement with the European Union. According to Iuri Vitneanschi, a city council member, “the Moldavian people were brainwashed by the pro-European propaganda while the government announced a pro-European political course for the country”. However, the reality the reality proved to be different from promising slogans.
- voltairenet.org/ – Multipolar world with media hegemony? – States struggling against imperialism are probably not sufficiently aware of the importance of having non-aligned media. Yet, obviously, Russia Today, Press TV, Telesur and Al Mayadeen are better at defending freedom than other weapons. For these are indeed weapons we are talking about. The first magic tool that the US uses for world domination is the dollar. The word “magic” is not just hyperbole; the dollar is indeed a magical creation since the Federal Reserve can create unlimited amounts in its computers, and the world sees these dollars as having an effective value, with an ulterior motive: petrodollars.
- stratfor.com/analysis/ – Who will get Moldova. A Roulette Wheel – Like Ukraine, Moldova is both weak and divided. Unlike Ukraine, Moldova does not have traditional or ethnic ties to Russia; it is ethnically and linguistically Romanian. This, along with Moldova’s small size and strategic location, is a main factor in the weakness of the state and its ability to balance between external power
30 April 1945 30.04.2015 | BSSB
1 – WWII: the Soviets Defeat the Germans 26.04.2017 | BSSB
WWII: it began with censorship chaos 25.04.2017 | BSSB
Moscow. A Hero City 14.04.2016 | BSSB
Fortress Berlin April 1945. Video 20.04.2015 | BSSB
Victory Day 09.05.2016 | BSSB
Soviet Storm: The Battle for Germany 04.05.2016 | BSSB
Wargaming Russia’s Military Options in Ukraine... 13.03.2015 | BSSB
Peace negotiations in Ukraine 11.05.2015 | BSSB
WWII «We should never forget» 25.04.2017 | BSSB
May 9: with tears of happiness 09.05.2018 | BSSB
Smolensk. A Hero City 29.04.2016 | BSSB
- 2. Shaping Europe’s Present and Future 18.01.2019
- 2. Divided at the centre 17.01.2019
- THE MACHINE, the ghost, and the limits of understanding 17.01.2019
- 1. Moldova: two and a half nations 16.01.2019
- Europe’s year of reckoning 16.01.2019
- 1. Divided at the centre 15.01.2019
- The Bad Guys Might Win 15.01.2019
- 1. Shaping Europe’s Present and Future 14.01.2019
- Eurotransition 14.01.2019
- State of Play Ahead of Moldova 11.01.2019
- On Global Civilization, Westernization and Values 11.01.2019
- 2. EAST-WEST DIVISION 10.01.2019
- Friedman`s correction on “The Next Hundred Years” 10.01.2019
- Top ten foreign policy trends in 2019 09.01.2019
- A Generation after Reunification 08.01.2019