Smolensk. A Hero City
The Battle of Smolensk, a key engagement in the German’s drive towards Moscow, stretched from July 10 to September 10, 1941.
Smolensk (Смоленск) is situated in western European Russia on the Dnieper River (see map). Much older than Moscow, it was one of the first cities to be founded in old Rus. First mentioned in the chronicles in 863, it became an important river port situated on various medieval trade routes connecting Scandinavia and the Baltic lands with Byzantium.
Being such an important crossroads in eastern Europe, it has been ravaged no less than 20 times by the fires of war. It was sacked by the Mongols in the 12th century, captured by the Lithuanians in the 15th century, retaken by the Russians in the 16th century, occupied by the Poles in the 17th century… Other notable invaders include Napoleon, who seized the city after a heroic battle in 1812 and the Germans who captured the city after heavy fighting in 1941. The title of Hero City was bestowed on Smolensk after the war.
Today, with a population of roughly 350,000 inhabitants, the city is an important rail junction, a distribution point for the region’s agricultural products, plus a commercial, cultural, and educational center. Although virtually razed during fighting in World War II, many of Smolensk’s historical landmarks have been rebuilt to their original.
Geopolitics Nations Crisis
- eurasiareview.com – Is Moldova a twin of Ukraine? – The political crisis in Moldova goes back to 2005 when the country had become a part of the Associations Agreement with the European Union. According to Iuri Vitneanschi, a city council member, “the Moldavian people were brainwashed by the pro-European propaganda while the government announced a pro-European political course for the country”. However, the reality the reality proved to be different from promising slogans.
- voltairenet.org/ – Multipolar world with media hegemony? – States struggling against imperialism are probably not sufficiently aware of the importance of having non-aligned media. Yet, obviously, Russia Today, Press TV, Telesur and Al Mayadeen are better at defending freedom than other weapons. For these are indeed weapons we are talking about. The first magic tool that the US uses for world domination is the dollar. The word “magic” is not just hyperbole; the dollar is indeed a magical creation since the Federal Reserve can create unlimited amounts in its computers, and the world sees these dollars as having an effective value, with an ulterior motive: petrodollars.
- stratfor.com/analysis/ – Who will get Moldova. A Roulette Wheel – Like Ukraine, Moldova is both weak and divided. Unlike Ukraine, Moldova does not have traditional or ethnic ties to Russia; it is ethnically and linguistically Romanian. This, along with Moldova’s small size and strategic location, is a main factor in the weakness of the state and its ability to balance between external power
1 – WWII: the Soviets Defeat the Germans 26.04.2017 | BSSB
Victory Day 09.05.2016 | BSSB
Rome, Open City. Video 26.03.2015 | BSSB
Liepājas metalurgs’ buyer re-registers his company in Crimea... 17.09.2014 | BSSB
Moscow and Kiev to reduce tension 14.10.2014 | BSSB
True Glory 06.05.2015 | BSSB
The life of Ukrainians after Maidan 18.11.2014 | BSSB
Gaming a Russian Offensive 13.03.2015 | BSSB
World War II. The End Game 27.04.2016 | BSSB
Kerch. A Hero City 26.04.2016 | BSSB
Sevastopol. A Hero City 19.04.2016 | BSSB
Siege of Leningrad 12.04.2016 | BSSB
- 2. Shaping Europe’s Present and Future 18.01.2019
- 2. Divided at the centre 17.01.2019
- THE MACHINE, the ghost, and the limits of understanding 17.01.2019
- 1. Moldova: two and a half nations 16.01.2019
- Europe’s year of reckoning 16.01.2019
- 1. Divided at the centre 15.01.2019
- The Bad Guys Might Win 15.01.2019
- 1. Shaping Europe’s Present and Future 14.01.2019
- Eurotransition 14.01.2019
- State of Play Ahead of Moldova 11.01.2019
- On Global Civilization, Westernization and Values 11.01.2019
- 2. EAST-WEST DIVISION 10.01.2019
- Friedman`s correction on “The Next Hundred Years” 10.01.2019
- Top ten foreign policy trends in 2019 09.01.2019
- A Generation after Reunification 08.01.2019