The Real Brexit Debate
BSSB.BE Channel 4 News 14/12/2018
* THE demand a Real Brexit Debate, with all voices debating the actual options.
May and Corbyn – representing two marginally different versions of Brexit – is a debate not worth having.
The PM offers a Brexit deal doomed to make the UK worse off, so people deserve to hear the case for all the actual options.
- Anything less would be a travesty of democracy, that would shame broadcasters.
- The SNP is offering to be the voice for remaining in the European Union.
- Nicola Sturgeon must be part of the debate on the same basis as May and Corbyn.
A spokeswoman for the broadcaster said: “ITV invited the Prime Minister and leader of the Opposition to appear in an ITV programme this Sunday evening, and we have been clear that it is up to those invited to decide whether they want to accept the invitation.
“ITV is developing its plans for covering the build-up and reaction to the crucial Commons vote next Tuesday, and a range of voices and opinions will be represented on the subject of Brexit in our output.”
The channel had proposed a one-on-one format as preferred by Labour.
Its decision to drop the debate means the only programme that will run will be The Real Brexit Debate on Channel 4.
The show will feature “four high-profile politicians” discussing a variety of issues connected with Britain’s exit of the EU in March 2019.
Starting at 7pm, the hour-long programme will be hosted by Channel 4 news presenter Krishnan Guru-Murphy.
What has Labour said?
A party spokesman said: “A head-to-head would give viewers the greatest clarity and allow both speakers to get into detail.
“The Prime Minister has refused to join Jeremy in a head-to-head debate.
“Her team tried to confuse people with a convoluted format.
“But the British public will see this for what it is – Theresa May unable to face real scrutiny over her crumbling deal.”
In some good news for quiz show devotees, the celebrity special edition of The Chase will now be back on.
The publication is not an editorial. It reflects solely the point of view and argumentation of the author. The publication is presented in the presentation. Start in the previous issue. The original is available at: Channel 4 News
- THE FUTURE OF THE UK AND THE EU? 13.03.2019
- 2. THE LIFE OF THE EU WITH/WITHOUT NATO 13.03.2019
- 1. Shaking Up the 2019 12.03.2019
- The POWER of Kaplan’s Maps 12.03.2019
- POVERTY IN PRACTICE 11.03.2019
- 2. EU’s NEW Political Dynamics 11.03.2019
- 1. THE LIFE OF THE EU WITH/WITHOUT NATO 07.03.2019
- Chomsky: U.S. Hegemony & Influence in Europe 06.03.2019
- On the other side of the EU 05.03.2019
- 1. EU’s NEW Political Dynamics 05.03.2019
- Fidesz and the EU 04.03.2019
- 2.RUN, BREXIT, RUN 01.03.2019
- Do movies matter? 01.03.2019
- A Journey at the Nuclear Brink 28.02.2019
- 2. SIMPLE FORMULA: The “16+1”makes —1 28.02.2019